Enabran Tain – The Master of Puppets

Tailors, Spies, Dissidents, Grey Cardinals
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Enabran Tain – The Master of Puppets

Postby Shada Dukal » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:24 pm

I have always wondered why Tain stuck to his original plan and carried out his secret operation with the Romulans when it became clear in “Defiant “ episode that Starfleet and respectively half of the Alpha Quadrant knew that the Obsidian order was in the possession of military equipment. Lovok was the first changeling that infiltrated one of the big powers in the Alpha Quadrant so no one knew about their ability to install infiltrators. How come he was so sure that his dealings with the Romulans would remain secret and there would not be leaks used by the enemy? I expected him to be more skeptical, to check and double-check, to doubt the obvious facts, to expect ambushes and traps, not to bite on the most straightforward way of action.

What were the consequences for Cardassia? Although Tain was officially retired, I think that the Obsidian order was practically decapitated and the Cardassian Intelligence Bureau could hardly step in its shoes. So Cardassia lost its highly-qualified secret operatives who were on these ships. I know how everyone hates Obsidians but each country has similar structures. Citizens may consider them threatening but still they are a must.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Re: Enabran Tain – The Master of Puppets

Postby Gazomg » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Shada Dukal wrote: I know how everyone hates Obsidians .

Not me :D

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Re: Enabran Tain – The Master of Puppets

Postby Shada Dukal » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Well, that is great, indeed, we are all Obsidian lovers. *a huge sigh of relief*

I fully agree with your analysis of Tain’s motivation. The poor old guy wanted to feel as important as in the old days, he disapproved of the new civilian government, he fully realized what a toothless and incompetent faction they were. I sympathize with him to some extent, his aim was noble, but I guess he should have asked for a second opinion and have a variant B.

I think he should have contacted the Central Command. It turns out that he trusted the Romulans more than his own compatriots. I am sure that there were plenty of capable military officers who disapproved of the civilian government and would be likely to share his experience with him. I really hate that cheap bickering between the Obsidians and the Central Command because in times of trouble they have to unite their efforts.

Still, what about Garak? It seems to me that he was torn between trusting his common sense and pleasing Tain. His instincts of a trained Osidian were shouting, “No, this is too good and too smooth to be true. The old man is overconfident, he misses too many details” At the same time, Tain’s promise to end his exile and restore him to his former status, his (almost) fatherly forgiveness and warmth meant so much for Garak.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Return to “Internal Affairs”