Bajor

Occupations, Annexations, Conflicts, Alliances and Diplomacy
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Re: Bajor

Postby Shada Dukal » Sun May 24, 2015 5:05 pm

When the Cardassians visited Bajor for the first time, they truly did not expect that the Bajorans would not take the hint. When a big interstellar power comes to a small early-warp world to talk about cooperation and trade, the local politicians should know better than saying “no”. All relationships between a small world and a big empire are asymmetrical so what local politicians can do and must do is to ensure the best possible ratio between mutual advantage and a downright loss of sovereignty. The Bajoran politicians failed to do that, some of them such as Kubus Oak and Jaz Holza were blinded by their greed while others such as Verin Kolek showed a total incompetence assuming that isolationism is a matter of choice. The Bajoran politicians had shunned the geopolitical developments that were taking place around them for a long time but in the end, they had to face the fact that being left alone is not an option for a small unaffiliated world. They did not play their cards well.

As far as the Cardassians are concerned, I think that they kept the pretense of equality for too long creating the misconception that it was an equal relationship. It has never been, it has never been meant to be so I guess that Cardassians should have stuck to their standard procedure – one hand reached for friendship and the other one holding a rifle. They let the Bajorans flounder in their misgivings for 10 years, engineered an intricate scheme to make them more reasonable but finally when the Federation sent operatives on Bajor they had to do it quickly and legitimize it in order to prevent Federation interference.

As for the Federation affiliation, the Bajorans gradually realized that being independent is impossible and having in mind the other options, they settled for the Federation. The Federations was not interested in their resources, they were interested in Bajor’s strategic positions next to the wormhole as well as having a foothold on a world that was only 5 light years away from Cardassia. The Romulans and the Klingons demonstrated their appetites so the Bajorans quickly sobered and embraced the Federation membership.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Postby Gazomg » Mon May 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Ds9 was not only my favorite trek show but one of my all time ever tv shows.

From day one I simply hated the Bajorans, their victim mentality, the superiority complex where they felt they has a god given role and their religion was better than everyone else's.
The characters in the show were quick to judge, slow to change and far to black and white, not enough shades of gray.Like many cultures on Earth religion was used to brain wash the masses of sheep to blindly believe the bullshit that was peddled.

In Ireland similar happened when the English ruled, raping killing, torture, confiscation of land, people sent to labor camps and penal colonies in Australia for example, However the Irish people never held a hatred or bitterness for the working class ordinary British person.

I could understand the Bajorans hating Cardassian military, those that took lives . land and liberty, but to hate an entire race for the actions of others is typical Bajoran, who hide behind their dull religion

Gazomg

Postby Gazomg » Tue May 26, 2015 7:58 pm

Asa species I found them to be very bland and dull, then I thought the same about the Vulcans

Gazomg

Postby Gazomg » Tue May 26, 2015 9:04 pm

the bajors were very one dimensional....even the klingons had more depth and variation than they did, even the romulans did.

DS9 did more for rejuvenating the ferengis, made the cardassians superb, even the dominion was multi dimensional.
Vulcans were ok in that we only had spock, tuvok etc one per show or an odd vulcan based show but the bajoran episodes sucked the life out of a lot of shows.

Duet for example was a great show and highlighted the bigoted attitude and victim mentality of the bajorans

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Wed May 27, 2015 6:19 am

The Bajorans were supposed to be the PC victims, we all were supposed to root for them and cry over their stupidity. Personally, I can’t do it, either due to the same reasons.

My country was part of the Byzantine Empire, the Ottoman Empire, we were a republic, we were a monarchy, we had insurgencies and coups, we had a monarcho-fascists dictatorship, we were a Soviet satellite but I don’t consider our checkered past bad in the long run. The Balkan nations acquired quite a different mentality exactly because we were a crossroad of many cultures and political interests and saw the rise and downfall of many empires and powers. So we don’t cherish any illusions.

I guess Dukat’s administration treated the Bajorans better than many RL occupying forces. Unlike many real countries, the Bajorans had diplomatic options to avoid a downright invasion. It seems to me that each planet can produce plenty of troublemakers, Resistance fighters and common criminals to be sent to the mines. The trilogy presents a captured Resistance fighter in Gallitep so the mines were not manned with pillars of society exactly. The episodes “Things Past” or “Necessary Evil” showed herds of plain Bajorans moving around Terok Nor but none of them looked starving or dying. Just gruff, disgruntled workers.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Return to “Interplanetary Affairs”