DS9 Documentary Underway

Don’t Keep it to Yourself, Share it!
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

DS9 Documentary Underway

Postby Shada Dukal » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Good news for all Niners. An Indiegogo campaign has started for making a documentary devoted to DS9. According to the filmmakers and produces (Adam Nimoy, David Zappone/455 Films), DS9 is more popular now than it was 20 years ago and it is watched by young people who have never suspected it was part of the ST franchise.

http://www.startrek.com/article/ds9-doc ... y-underway

During the fundraising campaign, Damar donates a Cardassian dollar for the cause, but that Cardassian hater Ira Steven Behr rejects it. How typical.

In case you wonder what a Cardassian dollar looks like, here is a close-up.

I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Re: DS9 Documentary Underway

Postby Gazomg » Thu May 11, 2017 3:28 am

I am so looking forward to this

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:22 am

Insulting the fandom is a bad thing, Mr. Behr. Look at what happened to Star Wars. DS9 ages so well exactly because it manages to attract new unbiased viewers.

Ira Steven Behr said about the fan response to Dukat, "I know that there are women fans who still want to bear his child, but to me that's the whole thing where you want to marry the serial killer. You want to have sex with Gul Dukat? It's all the same thing." ("The Producer's View", Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Official Poster Magazine, No. 12) The quotation is from Memory Alpha, the article on Dukat.

This is from an interview with Behr published on trekweb. Trekweb does not exist anymore, but the whole text of the interview can be found on other forums.

Much to the producer/writer's chagrin, many fans began to see the character and the Cardassians as "sexy" rather than horrific: "We'd sit in the writers room and laugh about it sometimes. We'd get the Cardassian newsletter and look at it and think, 'What has gone wrong?' of course it's science fiction; you put makeup on and suddenly it's OK. If it's Idi Amin or Pol Pot no one's thinking of spending a romantic weekend in his arms; but you give him a bony neck and a rubber outfit, and it's a whole different thing."

https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/gul-duk ... 978/page-6
Jim Morrison

Gazomg

Postby Gazomg » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:56 am

the beggi9ng bowl coming out again in trek always a sad thing

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:03 pm

Actually, the documentary already has a fixed release date. It will be screened in New York, Los Angeles and London on 12 October 2018.
Jim Morrison

Gazomg

Postby Gazomg » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:43 am

shame we will never get the full HD of the entire DS9

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:10 am

As far as I know, the greatest problem is re-mastering of the CGIs, this means, ships, explosions, collisions. CG images were the in-thing in the 1990s, cheap and affordable, but they don’t lend themselves to HD resolution easily.
Jim Morrison

Return to “Star Trek Art, Fun and Rumors”