When Terrorists Grow Up…

Favorite Books, Films, Artists, Actors
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

When Terrorists Grow Up…

Postby Shada Dukal » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:23 pm

DS9 started in 1993 and ended in 1999. I wonder whether it would be possible to depict terrorism as a romantic, adventurous crusade or a rightful retaliation against the established order after 9/11 and the War on Terrorism. Actually, all governmental systems are imperfect and unfair, in their own way, and are hardly free from criticism, but how exactly is terrorism the way to make them better?

It seems to me that pop culture loves flirting with terrorism and armed conflicts presenting them as a heroic effort against evil forces. They offer the viewers a clear-cut demarcation line between the side they are supposed to root for and the side they are supposed to condemn.

Apart from being a symptom of clichéd writing, this by itself is hardly a problem unless the viewers apply it to real life. In real life, the justifications and interests of all parties involved are quite multilayered and tightly interwoven, the hostilities themselves build up, they have a background and a prehistory of mutual provocations and misconducts, and all sides pursue a particular geopolitical agenda that is hardly altruistic.

There are currently 109 definitions of terrorism, very often scholars try to whitewash the national liberation movements presenting them as justified but motives are irrelevant to the used method. Terrorism is a mode of operation and it is based on three elements:

1. Use of/threat to use violence.
2. A political objective – changing of governmental structures, people in power, changing social and political policies.
3. The targets of terrorism are civilians, it has nothing to do with accidental injuries inflicted on civilians who happened to be in proximity.

https://www.ict.org.il/Article/1123/Def ... om-Fighter

For more details, you may check this link, the International Institute for Counter-Terrorism.

Here is what Nana Visitor asked the fans in an interview in 2011:

“Visitor: I have a question for the fans. How would Kira have changed post 9/11? If the show was still on in 2001, would they have changed her? And if the show had come on after 9/11, would they even have had the character? That’s a question I have. Kira was called a freedom fighter, but she was a terrorist. So that’s a question I have, and I know it’s a question that makes a lot of people nervous. It’s the biggest question I have, and I wonder what people think.”

http://www.startrek.com/article/ds9s-ma ... tor-part-2

This is how she views her character Kira Nerys in 2015:

“I think her life – it’s a very humble place to be, whether you call her a freedom fighter or a terrorist. I think that, although I didn’t have a word for it then – I don’t think we had a word for it then – Major Kira has PTSD. She was not treated for it and it is severe. And a lot of her evolution is from gaining trust and realizing that life is safe again to a certain degree.”

http://www.shoesandstarships.com/2015/0 ... r-at-star/

In the same interview, Nana Visitor says that her character can’t be written today the way it was done in the 1990s. It is worth reading, you should kindly disregard the feminist platitudes and focus on what the actress says about her character. This is her response to the interviewer’s assertion that Kira is a freedom fighter because the Cardassians are awful.

“I definitely view her as a freedom fighter, I don’t see her as a terrorist in light of how awful the Cardassians are.

Yes, but who’s right! It depends what side you are on, that is the tricky part of her, the gray area of her. She did do questionable things and I’m sure had regrets and was damaged from her desire to have freedom for Bajor. It would be tricky to write her now, which is great that it was done then and is still being seen.”

Which leads us to the next question: What is the difference between a freedom fighter and a terrorist? It appears that it depends only on the perspective and the used methods.

There is hope for you yet, Colonel Kira. Cardassia appreciates your honesty. In fact, what you call terrorism was only a small inconvenience for us.
"A minor operative whose activities are limited to running errands for the terrorist leaders." DS9, "Battle Lines"
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gul Khold
Moderately Bad

Re: When Terrorists Grow Up…

Postby Gul Khold » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:46 pm

"One man's villain is another man's hero."

In the end, at least how I see things, things like "justice" or "revenge" are just a matter of perspective.

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:02 pm

I see your point. When we strip the designated heroes from their intrinsic righteousness, there is not much left. Something like that:

Sometimes life forces us to reevaluate the side we support as in this case. Poor Rambo fought for the terrorists.

Probably, we should watch DS9 with similar credits. “To the brave Cardassian troops fighting terrorism and backwardness!”
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gul Khold
Moderately Bad

Postby Gul Khold » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:59 pm

Indeed, that's exactly it XD

Return to “Miscellaneous Culture and Art Discussions”