When the good guys screw up

Favorite Books, Films, Artists, Actors
Gul Khold
Moderately Bad

When the good guys screw up

Postby Gul Khold » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:49 am

I have found a short video about on how costly would be to destroy both Death Stars, in the Star Wars saga, would be for the Galaxy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Y3dlTDAxw

Got my wheels turning on about other things done by movie protagonists we (should, apparently) cheer to just because they're the nominal heroes. Any similar examples?

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Re: When the good guys screw up

Postby Shada Dukal » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:27 pm

This video is amazing. So the Rebel Scum is not only guilty of terrorism but they have also plunged the Galaxy into an economic recession? I fully agree with that. Now we can charge them with terrorism financing , tax evasion, stock market rigging and financial destabilization of whole sectors.

In this sense, why should the Bajoran terrorism be viewed as something positive? I guess the terrorism on Bajor caused more civilian losses and collateral damages than the Cardassian presence by itself. In “Waltz” Dukat says that the terrorists destroyed a drydock and killed over 200 Cardassians so he executed 200 terrorists in return. Quite fair.

Should terrorism go unpunished and be admired? If a terrorist group blows up a ship in a contemporary seaport, kills the crew and some seaport workers and damages the local infrastructure, do we applaud it? Do we consider it a brave act of defiance or we express our condolences to the affected party and our disgust with the terrorist tactics? When the lawful authorities reciprocate with a curfew, intensified police presence, and routine detentions of suspects, do we protest or we expect that the culprits will be caught soon and the display of force will act as a barrier against similar acts. Do we care what happens in the police precincts and detention centers and what exactly the investigations and interrogations involve or we want the situation to return to normal as quickly as possible?

I wonder if the Bajorans looked like the Gungans, would anyone sympathize with them?
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gul Khold
Moderately Bad

Postby Gul Khold » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:04 pm

I actually thought the same in both universes and let's say that my - what they call - "headcanon" is set on such ways.

I believe that, had the Federation not aid Bajor, it might have ended up in an awful shape under their newfound "freedom". Hell, the series itself briefly hints they have some difficulties, but they do not linger on them because it could leave the audience thinking that the Bajorans brought it upon themselves - something no writers want to their designated "good guys".

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Actually, the whole myth about the Bajoran liberation lasted exactly two weeks. The moment when the Cardassians withdrew, Bajor was on the verge of a civil war and the Provisional Government realized that they couldn’t control the population and need the backup of a big interstellar power just as the previous cabinet needed the Cardassian support. So two weeks after Dukat had vacated his office, Sisko moved in. So much for the Bajoran independence and political emancipation.

Later, a xenophobic-nationalistic faction gained popularity and was to get rid of the Federation presence on Bajor, the Bajoran Militia was on the streets, there was a lot of civil unrest, and a Bajoran General seized control of DS9. However Sisko and his crew organized a coup-d’état and discredited the politician who was to become the head of the new government. Sisko violated a direct order to withdraw and captured the General but was not punished later. So much for non-interference.

Even before the Cardassian Annexation Bajor was hardly a shining example of democracy and equality. They had hereditary governors who administrated the provinces and comprised the Bajoran ruling body. Each province had its own separatist agenda tailored by the interests of the local governor. Their political decisions needed the approval of the theocratic structures and the Kai. The caste system predetermined the choice of job and social status, marriages between a high-caste and a low-caste spouse were considered strenuous at the best. Several business consortiums headed by the same governors controlled interstellar endeavors and this was how the Cardassians got involved, they offered official Union membership but the current First Minister turned it down because he was a representative of the conservative lobby that preached isolationism. The pragmatic interstellar lobby circumvented this decision and invited the Cardassians to stay in their provinces, and later the Cardassians simply supported this lobby.

No one asked the Bajoran population whether they wanted a Cardassian presence on Bajor or not, there were no administrative mechanisms for the citizens to check their rulers. So the Bajorans did not budge for millennia to question the lack of transparency in their political process or the exclusion of the citizens from decision-making. In a way, the flaws of their own political and social systems combined with total disinterest and ignorance worked against them.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Return to “Miscellaneous Culture and Art Discussions”