Favorite DS9 Scenes

Favorite Books, Films, Artists, Actors
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Favorite DS9 Scenes

Postby Shada Dukal » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:11 pm

This is one of my favorite Ouark’s monologues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5J_qn93Nkc
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Re: Favorite DS9 Scenes

Postby Gazomg » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:34 pm

great piece that.

The one where eddington has a go at sisko is similar in that it also points out the flaws in this "federation paradise"

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:22 pm

Yes, that is why I consider DS9 a great show, they were likely to admit that the Federation is not perfect. Never liked Roddenberry’s views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5jAixHhSA
Jim Morrison

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:34 pm

I love Quark.
He is the best (and he can provide us with Kanar) - everything he says is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ

I don't like Eddington. He is Maquis and I volunteer to execute each single Maquis for murder and terrorism, including Chakotay and B'Elanna.
But what he says about the Federation is right. So I grant him permission for glorious last words before his execution ( for safety's sake he may read them from a cheat sheet)
There never was a war that was not inward, never a heart conquered from without. What is our innocence, where is our guilt? Where is the courage for the unanswered question that in misfortune, even in death, can defeat our mortality?
Aman Evek

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:15 pm

That is one of my favorite scenes too. Quark is always right in his appraisals.

Eddington chose the wrong cause. He did not like the Federation, how perceptive of him, but the Maquis were a shining example of bold stupidity silently fueled by the Federation. The social trash of the Federation that they used as sitting ducks in order to tease Cardassia. If the Federation really wanted to relocate these people, they could do it. In fact, the whole situation benefited the Federation and marred the life of the Cardassian settlers.

What about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpwGW697-A
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Postby Gazomg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:55 pm

I dont mind the maquis, for the simple reason they fight for what the truly believe in and their homes and you have to respect that, even if it is against the cardassians.

Not like nausicaans or other races who do so merely for financial rewards, or some misguided loyalty to a empire or federation they think they understand.

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:14 pm

The planets were not theirs anymore, they did not belong to the Federation. After Bajor and the Border Wars no Federation citizen had any illusions about what to expect if they stayed on a Cardassian planet. The Federation offered them a way out, they turned it down. Didn’t they have a sense of self-preservation?

Nausicaans are mercenaries and small-scale criminals, this is their way of earning a living. Many Klingons sell their services to gangsters or smugglers, or form their own pirate gangs. This has nothing to do with being part of a regular military force that fights for the interests of its respective government.
Jim Morrison

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Too many innocents were killed by self righteous Maquis members. And what's worse, the Maquis don't feel sorrow or remorse for their deeds. I respect Eddington for fighting for his believes - in his own way he was a brave man. But I cannot respect the ways of the Maquis - in the end they are murderers. Gul Evek lost his last remaining son to a Maquis raid. I can tell you, the poor man is devastated :cry: (therefore it is a very personal matter for me)
There never was a war that was not inward, never a heart conquered from without. What is our innocence, where is our guilt? Where is the courage for the unanswered question that in misfortune, even in death, can defeat our mortality?
Aman Evek

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Personally, I have never liked either of the characters, they are Federation-based characters, I am interested in the Cardassian perspective. Eddington’s criticism against the Federation though sincere comes a bit late. The Federation as a construct is a big non-sense that no one can logically explain but all Federation fans fervently defend. No one knows anything about Federation economy, internal structure, political system, social stratification, citizen-state relationships. All that is hazy and blurry, we see only Starfleet personnel, but I don’t know to what extent the Starfleet officers represent the feelings of the ordinary Federation civilian. Whatever, it is their problem, not mine.

However, the Federation is supposed to honor its treaties, which was not the case. The presence of the Maquis there was a violation of the Federation-Cardassian treaty of 2370. In this sense, Gul Evek agreed that the settlers would be allowed to retain their homes under Cardassian rule. As a result of this concession, Cardassia lost more soldiers, including Gul Evek’s third son, as well as a lot of civilian settlers who had to fight the Maquis instead of looking after their farms or industrial installations. It was obvious from the very beginning that the Federation settlers were very belligerent towards the Cardassian troops so the conflict was likely to escalate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crpUHa9_pJ0
Jim Morrison

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Shada Dukal wrote:
What about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpwGW697-A

Ha, Martok! I really like this stubborn Klingon. Besides I was married to someone like him for almost 20 years.
It was a real nightmare each time we visited the tableware- and glass section of a department store; apart from that, it were the best years of my life. ;)
Aman Evek

Return to “Miscellaneous Culture and Art Discussions”