Why don’t you have the guts?

Get a Life, Sheldon Cooper! And Speak Up!
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Why don’t you have the guts?

Postby Shada Dukal » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:49 pm

I thought that if you give people opportunity to say what they want, they will do it. I was wrong, people don’t want to say what they want. Saying what you want takes two things – an opinion and guts. So if you can blame the admin for not having either the guts or the opinion, that is just great. There is just one problem – it means that you have been a chickenshit all the time and you deserve to be treated like cattle. Anything to add? Not that I expect anything, that would be too much.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Re: Why don’t you have the guts?

Postby Gazomg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:29 pm

Guess people need something to chat about.

This thread could have the opposite effect though in making any members more reluctant, maybe it wont, who knows.
Time will tell

Seen Trek forums in general are really quiet, which kind of surprises me with the 50th year coming up and that nu trek movie bullshit out soon

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:18 pm

Well, there are plenty of things to chat about but frankly, I don’t know what other people find funny. Personally, I have a quite dark sense of humor.

When I say “people”, there are just you and me for the time being, the other members prefer not to post or simply don’t visit this place that often. Actually, they have the right to remain silent, you will be surprised how many people join forums only to have a chat with friends via the PM system.

There is a very good reason for the silence on the forums. Forums are dying as a means of communication, most people nowadays use the social networks. They are quick and people exchange short remarks, or press the “like” button. Forums offer a chat, nothing serious or deep, just keeping the conversation rolling, writing 5-word sentences.

Still, I guess the ST franchise is going down and this is to be expected, it started long time ago, J.J. Abrams is not to blame, not for this, at least. SW franchise is doing much better despite the overall decline of the sci-fi. ST simply failed to produce a universal message that appeals to a diverse fan-base. Apart from the English speaking countries and several West European countries, ST has never been popular abroad.
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Postby Gazomg » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:38 pm

I use a darts forum and while there are hundreds of members it always the same 15-20 that constantly interact, and over years you do develop an understanding of each persons way, and the forum we use while almost exclusively darts obviously it is a sort of anything goes and avise and swearing are commonplace, but we are adults and dont get offended.

forums as you say probably are dying a little cos of facebook and stuff, but as someone who deplores mobile phones and social media I too prefer the forum as you are not limited to certain number of letter as on twitter and facebook sucks

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:04 pm

All forums are like that, not only your darts forum. There are some people who like reading what other people write but they will never post anything.

Other people are just shy and they don’t feel like entering a conversation because they can’t handle disagreements, so they either remain silent or require special rules that spare them the inconvenience of having to defend themselves or having their ego bruised. This is ridiculous, no one protects anyone in everyday life, when you go in the streets everything can happen to you, everyone has the right to tell you what they want and it is up to you how to deal with it.

What I don’t like about the social media is that they allow people to babble without saying anything, this is not communication, just killing time, averting the unpleasant realization that you are no one and it really does not matter what you like or dislike. Phones are useful to make an appointment but nothing else.

Look what I have found, guess who the Cardassian fan is. When I see geeks and weirdoes, I really think that such people turned sci-fi into a joke, making it a synonym of an escapist who can’t handle real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfSV2vMeO94
Jim Morrison

Return to “Miscellaneous RL discussions”