At the movies

Get a Life, Sheldon Cooper! And Speak Up!
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Re: At the movies

Postby Shada Dukal » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:53 pm

I will try to watch it tonight, I like that it features John Connor’s parents in 1984. Yes, there are some negative comments, but I have not watched it yet, so I can’t say anything.

In fact, this review looks quite fair, people expect something closer to the original plot line.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/James-Ca ... 71898.html
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:32 pm

The plot seems to be interesting, but I'm sceptical about the actor, who plays Kyle Reese.
I loved Michael Biehn in that role. Cannot imagine anybody else.

The original Kyle was a very tactical, serious, and experienced soldier.
The new guy looks only brutish to me.
But I will watch it anyway. I should not judge him by the looks.
If necessary, I can still close my eyes ;)

courtney vs. biehn.jpg
courtney vs. biehn.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 6434 times
There never was a war that was not inward, never a heart conquered from without. What is our innocence, where is our guilt? Where is the courage for the unanswered question that in misfortune, even in death, can defeat our mortality?
Aman Evek

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:34 pm

I have to say that I really liked the movie, it is a wink to the first two classics. Neither Jay Courtney is Michael Biehn nor Emilia Clarke is Linda Hamilton but I guess they did not try hard to achieve full semblance. Kyle is not brutish, rather surprised and distrustful because he arrives at an alternative time line where Sarah is not a helpless waitress. In fact, all characters have to play it by ear, I really like that. And Arnie is amazing, ridiculing his own old appearances and age. John Connor is a baddie, a great twist. So the parents are fighting their heavily mutated unborn son from another time line, total madness. Nothing is set in stone. The only thing that lasts forever is T-800, and don’t even think of telling him he is obsolete, he does not react well.
Jim Morrison

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Yes, I have to overcome my prejudices.
I will watch it tonight and I'm really curious right now.
There never was a war that was not inward, never a heart conquered from without. What is our innocence, where is our guilt? Where is the courage for the unanswered question that in misfortune, even in death, can defeat our mortality?
Aman Evek

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:20 pm

.... it was not as bad as I expected it to be.
No, serious it was rather good. :D

And now the old T-800 is not only "not obsolete" but upgraded - such a happy ending.
Aman Evek

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:45 am

Amroth Dolak wrote: Imagine that being the last thing you see before it kills you, a smiling T-800.

This would be the creepiest thing I can imagine - worse than Pennywise the Clown. An absolute nightmare. :shock:

It is a good thing that they returned to the storyline of the first two movies. They were the best.
I still prefer the original Kyle Reese. He had the perfect body. :P
But Jay Courtney is not as unpleasant as I feared.
I liked the interaction between the T-800 and Reese - his future "son in law". Suspicion, wariness - and competition on both sides.

The plot with John Connor was a tragic twist. It must be hard to kill your own son, even though you didn't raise him. And even harder for Kyle because he was his best friend and son at the same time. Sad thing.
Aman Evek

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:43 am

Really? You are not frightened by clowns?
They scare the hell out of me.
Clowns, dolls and spiders - My "Achilles' Heel"
I adore spiders, but I can not touch them :(
Aman Evek

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:52 pm

I am frightened of corporate vermin, the idiots wearing suits, saints, people with moral integrity, pillars of society and politicians. These creatures are a real threat and should be terminated. Spiders, clowns, and dolls can’t play so much havoc.

Robert Patrick was a good T-1000 but still this model has always lacked the creativity and personality of the previous one. T-800 can kill his enemies by simply smiling to them. Most people get a heart attack when they see this friendly smile, Gul Lemec should watch and train hard to achieve this perfection. I only missed “Hasta La Vista, Baby.” I love the question “Did you mate?” He was so concerned about the survival of mankind.

Kyle was very realistic when he regreted his volunteering for this mission – no damsel in distress but a mouthy little harpy and the sullen tin psychopath who raised her. In terms of appearance, I prefer Michael Biehn but he was a soldier protecting the gullible mother of the new Messiah whereas this Kyle was simply in the wrong time at the wrong place so he handled it quite well.

As for John Connor becoming a baddie, I have always considered the good-bad choice a matter of perspective, options and probabilities.

I wonder whether the presence of two Kyles (Kyle from the future and Kyle as a 13-year-old boy) within the same temporal line won’t cause some disturbances in time-space continuum.
Jim Morrison

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:29 pm

The presence of the two Kyles reminded me on 12 Monkeys, where James Cole witnessed his own death.

I like this quote from Hamlet: “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
I think what really makes a good and touching tragedy, is that neither the "good" nor the "bad" have a real choice.
In the end we are all forced by said options and probabilities.
Aman Evek

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Postby Gazomg » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:12 pm

ever wonder what a Cardassian Terminator might look like ?????

see the obsidian files thread

Return to “Miscellaneous RL discussions”