Help! The Cardassians Are Invading Us!

Sit on My Lap and Tell my How Much you Hate Cardassians
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Help! The Cardassians Are Invading Us!

Postby Shada Dukal » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:53 am

I had a funny but still thought-provoking experience two weeks ago. While surfing and checking the net activities of a new member of ours (I always do my homework), I came across a site called Trekspace.org claiming to be the social network for Star Trek fans. Here is the link.

http://www.trekspace.org/

I learned that there were Cardassian fans and I wanted to see what kind of Cardassian fans they were. I did not expect much – forums are teeming with people who like Cardassians but don’t have the guts to defend and stand for their favorite species and they end up trying to marry their grudging admiration for the Cardassians and their cheap priggish pretences. Such people hardly qualify for Cardassian fans but although it was a long shot, I attempted to sign up with this social network on 13th July.

The admittance procedure included stating my exact location so I stated it, people who know me are fully aware of the fact that I am a Bulgarian, this is not a secret. There was also a box where I was invited to say something about me so I wrote “100% Cardassian fan.” They also wanted to know whether I have a site so I gave them the address of this site. They sent me a link to confirm my e-mail, I clicked on the link to confirm it, nothing too strange so far, although no one had asked me about my exact location and nationality so far. Still, I gave them that info, no big deal. They informed me that I had to wait for an admin to check my application and they would send me an e-mail when this was done.

The e-mail never came, so I tried to sign up again two days ago, and sent them this, ”I tried to sign up with your social network on 13th July 2015. I clicked on the link you sent me and I was informed that my membership had to be approved by an admin but I haven’t received a confirmation e-mail yet. Today I tried to sign up again. I don’t understand what the problem is. I am a member of other ST sites and forums, I own and administrate a forum myself, and this admittance procedure really puzzles me.” I also tried to reply to one of their old confirmation e-mails but google informed me that it could not transfer my message.

What do you think – what are they so frightened of? Bulgarians, Cardassians or both? Frankly, I don’t eat Trekkies for breakfast. I don’t find them palatable, too bland. I am an absolutely legal alien, I am from this planet, and everybody can watch ST and discuss it.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Re: Help! The Cardassians Are Invading Us!

Postby Gazomg » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:33 am

First off Star Trek fans in general have the highest percentage of self righteous assholes I have ever come across.
pseudo intellectuals who tend to be socially awkward or inept and all think they are federation captains on their own little ship and their opinion is more important than anyone else, and yes some forums do lavel people not for being bulgarian but more than likely a cardassian or anything that might conflict with their almighty federation viewpoint.

That said I dont believe trekspace is one of them, in that I found that site a couple of years back and joined , and dont remember any issues and cannot remember what answers I gave but never kept in touch as I found the place far too confusing to navigate.

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Having in mind that Star Trek has introduced so many alien species, I find such a behavior really ridiculous. Are there any species whose fans are denied entrance automatically? Is it illegal to be a Cardassian fan and according to whom? It is also spineless, they don’t even have the guts to tell me, “We don’t approve of your choice of species or we consider your country not the typical Star Trek destination.” Currently, ST franchise is investing money in widening its audience, attracting fans from other parts of the world, the JJ-verse is actually an attempt to target the emerging markets.

There are no more than 10-15 people in my country who are aware of the series but they are not on forums so I can’t understand how this could be a threat. Still, I know of a Cardassian forum, the place I was banned from, which is owned by a paranoid religious wacko and the said creature imposed IP ban on all Bulgarian IP addresses to make sure that hordes of Bulgarian fans wouldn’t try to join it. Later, they changed their rules so dramatically that currently North Korea looks like a free and democratic place compared to their new board policy. So some people have great problems with otherness and are ready to build Internet gulags to protect their narrow-mindedness. Internet has always been the last island of independent thought. Hiding behind barb wire in the name of freedom and humanism is not the way.
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Postby Gazomg » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:49 pm

more likely in this case for this forum its just a glitch rather than any intentional reason

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:53 pm

Yes, glitches happen but three days ago when I repeated the procedure, they didn’t even bother to send me a link to confirm my e-mail. They did not notify me that my application was waiting for approval. I don’t consider it a glitch, it is the chickenshit reaction of a nerd who can’t even find my country on the map because Bolivia, Botswana, Bulgaria and Dozaria are the same to them. And of course your explanation about the “Starfleet captain” syndrome.
Jim Morrison

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Yes, I truly despise places where visitors are not allowed to read the forum, if it so secret, they can use the PM system. In fact, the average Federation fan is not my target audience, they might enjoy their Captains and tough little ships as much as they want. The problem is when they forget that I can enjoy my Guls and Galors as much as I want. My Guls and their Captains are enemies, this is called science fiction, it is not real. Not everybody likes Cardassians, this is not the typical happy-go-lucky pop cultural product, so this is understandable. Still, If they consider Cardassian fans living on the other end of the world their enemies this is a medical condition.

As I said, I firmly believe that some asshole overreacted but in the end, they will see no better. Paranoia and fear, hiding and avoidance, they will have their own nightmares coming true. Live long and suffer!
Jim Morrison

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 pm

I tried to sign up too. I failed by uploading the photo. I changed the format, the size, the motif (even tried it with my own charming face to avoid copyright problems); but always the same result:

There was an error uploading your photo: Please try again. If you keep seeing this error, try another photo

I tried it with different email-accounts and different computers - to eradicate the possibility that I am an "unwanted person" - and with a lot of different photos. No positive result. So maybe this site really has a glitch?
Whatever, I'm not a very patient person and so I'm annoyed in any case.

I really don't know what they are afraid of. Fear of a Cardassian assault or what?
Maybe this is a sign of the times we live in? This growing paranoia. Particularly in the US.

There is an interesting story on fanfiction.net
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1005360/1/Outrage

The story has only two comments one from 2002 and one from 2009. I know it's not enough material for a scientific study - but the tone of the comments is significant for the alarming "change" inside the Star Trek fandom. What's wrong with these people?
There never was a war that was not inward, never a heart conquered from without. What is our innocence, where is our guilt? Where is the courage for the unanswered question that in misfortune, even in death, can defeat our mortality?
Aman Evek

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:57 pm

"Live long and suffer!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
May I have your permission to print T-Shirts? :roll:
There never was a war that was not inward, never a heart conquered from without. What is our innocence, where is our guilt? Where is the courage for the unanswered question that in misfortune, even in death, can defeat our mortality?
Aman Evek

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:03 am

A sad story. But well written. If there were a "thumbs up" button I would have hit it.
I mean, Sevens reaction was shocking and cruel but at least honest in some way.
[ Of course, I wished I could have saved Tusa, cuddled him up with a nice cozy blanket and fed him hot fish soup ... :roll: ]
The writer dared to question the double moral standards of the Federation and the commenter wished for a "thumbs down" button.
Why? Because she didn't like what was revealed about her "flawless" Captain? Janeway didn't have the courage to confront Tusa with the past. She somehow (subtly) used Seven as a tool for revenge. And yes, Fedies are capable of murder and cowardice, why not? It's only human and I don't think mankind will truly change in the next four hundred years.
Ok, maybe I should write a comment myself, although I fear that it is a little late for feedback 13 years after the publishing of the story. But it's never too late to give the writer his well earned kudos. (at least I hope so)
Aman Evek

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:09 pm

And that's exactly what I can not understand.
Everybody admires the Klingons for example. I like them too. But they have committed atrocities like slaying wounded in their hospital beds and justify this with giving the wounded a honourable death. But no one would ever condemn you for being a Klingon-Fan. But if you admit that Cardassians are your favourite species, that you love their culture, their architecture and their looks, they regard you as some kind of "Space-Nazi".

According to Memory Alpha the setting of the DS9 episode "Nor the Battle to the Strong" was originally planned to be a Cardassian hospital instead of a Federation one. To bad they had to abandon that idea due to budgetary reasons. I would have loved to see this version of the episode. And maybe it would have helped to open the cold-blooded hearts of some of these incurable Cardie-haters.
But honestly, I give a damn about their hearts! :D
Aman Evek

Return to “Cardassians in ST Culture”