Anti-Cardassian Madness

Sit on My Lap and Tell my How Much you Hate Cardassians
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Anti-Cardassian Madness

Postby Shada Dukal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:45 pm

When I got hooked on Cardassians I started reading everything I could find about them – comments, fanfics, old abandoned forums and threads. I was really curious to find out how people view them. I noticed that the early reception of the Cardassians was much more favorable and devoid of judgmental pigeonholing than today, 22 years after the beginning of the first season. What happened?

There were old fanfic sites specialized only in Cardassian fanfics, there was a slash/het magazine called Scaly Tales, there were Cardassian romances. When I read old threads on the forums the attitude is absolutely civilized – people admire the acting, the actors, they discuss favorite moments delve into the character motivation, comment on how funny and amusing they were. Just fans having small talk.

Currently, it is impossible to say that you are a Cardassian fan – some arbitrary of good and evil jumps at your throat and tells you that you are a Nazi eating little Bajoran babies for breakfast, that you are as guilty as hell, that you are a threat to the free world and its values. Enjoying Cardassian characters means that you are bad, trying to present their point of makes you a monster, I truly don’t get it.

How come we lost our ability to admire a show, why methphors are to be taken literally, are there right and wrong interpretations of a fictional culture and according to whom? Since when do fictional characters serve as an indulgence for all our RL shortcomings and imperfections? How exactly condemning a fictional alien race makes us better people? In fact, does watching TV make people better? Who the fuck are we to judge other people, fictional or not, and their choices and their culture?
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Re: Anti-Cardassian Madness

Postby Gazomg » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:23 pm

people happened, that is what.

You only need look at a a magazine, tv show, listen to a radio and you can sense the stupidity of people and how everything is made simple for a planet of sheep

Nearly every moron has a mobile phone stuck to their ear like its life or death, people have bought everything they are told.
People today are sheep and cannot think for themselves, everyone trying to fit in.
A complete lack of individuality, in the past people were less controlled by being in some sort of clique, they formed their own opinions, hence why free thinkers may have been more tolerant of the cardassian way for example as opposed to today where once something has been decided the masses then follow like mutants.

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:19 pm

This is really a serious issue. There is something going on today and it's a bad thing.
There are those strange people out there - "the self proclaimed gooders" I would say - and their number is growing day by day.
The dangerous thing about them is this: they are not really good people at all. They just claim to be good. Big difference.
They persecute smokers, meat eaters, beer drinkers, motorists, atheists, and all other people that are not adapted to their rules with fearsome aggression; even people with obesity are on their blacklist these days.

But the fact that the "gooders" even infiltrated a harmless fandom like Star Trek is simply shocking.
They want the Cardassians to be tamed and toothless puppies?
To kneel in front of a Bajoran and apologize?
No way!

If we are not careful enough the Cardassians will share the fate of the Cherokee.

Sometimes I find myself in a state of doubt and weakness and I wonder if the "gooders" are right and if I really am a amoral person.
No that's not true. I know that I am a amoral person. :lol: :lol: :lol:
But I have my own codex of honour and I am proud of it. Fuck the "gooders"!

Do you still remember the first time you ever laid eyes on a Cardassian? I do.
I always had the bad luck to catch one of these drab Bajoran episodes each time I zapped through the TV-stations.
But then one day Garak appeared on the screen and changed my attitude towards DS9 completely. :D
I still remember the episode: "Thing's Past" and the year was 1998
I was so intrigued by the story and by the ridges. And then there was this good looking and charming prefect. :oops:
From that day on the Cardassians occupied my mind and annected my day-dreams systematically and efficiently.
I prayed for a "Cardassian Spin-Off" (I know, I'm a dreamer) but all I got was "Voyager" and "Enterprise" :(
There never was a war that was not inward, never a heart conquered from without. What is our innocence, where is our guilt? Where is the courage for the unanswered question that in misfortune, even in death, can defeat our mortality?
Aman Evek

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Postby Gazomg » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:02 pm

fabulous post Shyak

Shyak
Entering the Evil Zone

Postby Shyak » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:38 pm

Really? Thank you, Gazomg. I got a bit carried away :roll:
There never was a war that was not inward, never a heart conquered from without. What is our innocence, where is our guilt? Where is the courage for the unanswered question that in misfortune, even in death, can defeat our mortality?
Aman Evek

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Yes, Shyak, you put it very well, the so called “do-gooders.” They really give me the creeps, so much, hate, bigotry and intolerance but masked as altruism and concern.

The do-gooders are basically people who really don’t have a life so judging someone else’s tastes and preferences justifies their pathetic, gelded existence. Morality has always been an excuse for lack of guts and fear of otherness. Here is a quote from my favorite writer William Burroughs.
“We have observed that most of the trouble in the world has been caused by ten to twenty percent of folks who can't mind their own business, because they have no business of their own to mind, any more than a smallpox virus. Now your virus is an obligate cellular parasite and my contention is that evil is quite literally a virus parasite occupying a certain brain area which we may term the RIGHT center. The mark of a basic shit is that he has to be right.“
Burroughs, William. The Place of Dead Roads. 1983.

Ira Steven Behr almost succeeded in turning the Cardassians and their fans into a dying nation of Sitting Bulls. As for the Bajorans, being a victim is a matter of mentality, each nation can have its ups and downs, shit can happen to everyone, but strong people become even stronger while weak people just grumble and never learn anything from their experience.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Return to “Cardassians in ST Culture”