How far do these ridges go down?

What do they think? What do they look like?
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Re: How far do these ridges go down?

Postby Shada Dukal » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:49 pm

Yes, indeed, Cardassians are mentioned among the species sprouted by the ancient humanoids.

The cobra was a metaphor, the flare of cobra hood was compared to the erection.

The oldest part of our brain – the R-complex is still there. It is reptilian and it regulates our most vital functions and urges. In this sense, I believe we simply have to unleash the latent Cardassian that is locked up inside. I fully agree that ontogenetically embryos recreate the evolutionary process but still similarity in the chromosome count is not enough. The species must also pertain to the same class and have common ancestor. Horses can produce offspring with everything in the Equus family – donkeys, wild asses, zebras, kiangs, onagers, Przewalski horses.

Still, some people have found a way to circumvent this obstacle and have created the “spud monster” or the “couch potato” – a creature that has inherited the intelligence and gracefulness of its vegetable parent peppered with an almost human appearance and plenty of cholesterol. A real wonder of human devolution! Eat your heart out, Darwin!

According to Iron and Ash Source book, the ancestor of the modern Cardassians resembled a long-legged, short-snouted alligator with ruffs of fur on its upper back and sides, exhibiting a combination of reptilian and mammal features. The creature needed to stand erect on its hind legs in order to eat leaves when the periods of drought killed the grass so it gradually developed a more humanoid form.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Dal Rassak

Postby Dal Rassak » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:18 pm

hahaha seems that EVERYBODY wonders about that... I've even come across speculations about male Cardies having some on their, ahem....! XD

Honestly, and speaking from a zoologist's point of view, trying to imagine these as a species that actually exists, it would not make sense to me to picture their bodies just covered in random ridges. If you take the look and effects of the make-up as representing actual anatomy it would appear that Cardassians have two types of ridges: one structure that is part of the bone, i.e. the forehead ridges (including the 'spoon' shape), and the pectoral bone structure on females (I can't remember where I read it but I think only females are meant to have that additional spoon shape on their chests). In the episode 'Empok Nor' a Cardassian skeleton is shown where the forehead ridges are represented as a rigid part of the actual skull.
Then there are those neck ridges which look very much like thick flexible cartilage, and I'd say this cartilage covers particularly strong tendons.
As to their sensitivity, I honestly think some fans' overheated imagination has made a bit much out of one single instance of one Cardassian female apparently responding to a caress of them. I mean, in the scene she was in a shall we say "romantic" mood anyway, where I guess he could have touched just about any part of her and gotten much the same reaction. As for some stuff I've come across on the more explicit sort of fanfiction sites where the neck ridges are basically treated almost as though they were another set of genitals (what IS it with that neck ridge fetish? XD), that seems to me entirely ridiculous - if they were THAT sensitive surely Cardassians would keep them covered up more!
Looking at the courting behavior of some species of lizard though, a lot of the time the male will bite at the neck of the female prior to copulation. So it may make sense for Cardassian females in particular registering touching of the neck as an erotic signal IF in a courtship situation. (because think about it - otherwise no Cardassian could embrace a relative or put a casual arm round the shoulders of a comrade in a gesture of solidarity without that person getting aroused, that'd make daily interaction excruciatingly difficult....)

As for additional ridges... hmm, following "anatomical logic" I reckon it might make sense for them to have slight ridges or just scale cover over those parts of the anatomy where tendons are prominent - this could then have evolved as a protection from predators biting through them. So I picture additional large scale at the back of the lower leg from the heel to the mid-calf along the Achilles tendon for instance. Maybe also a plating of scale over the joints and along the spine.

The bony ridges around the eyes make excellent sense btw for a desert species. Several repitiles have such protrusions above the eye to protect it from direct sunglare.
The 'spoon' shape could be a vestigial remnant of larger 'shield' feature used for thermoregulation by the Cardassians' remote repitilian ancestor form.

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:45 pm

Well, your distinction between ridges with a bone beneath and ridges covering the tendons really makes sense. Yes, necks are a fetish among Cardassian fans, but their necks look truly gorgeous.

In fact, Memory Alpha only states that the neck ridges are sensitive and massaging them stimulates pleasure. No one claims that this pleasure is purely sexual or each stroke can trigger it. Natima Lang simply was in the mood. I don’t think that a casual hug or involuntary brushing against the ridges can make someone horny, it depends on the context and who does it.

Neck biting is part of the copulative practices of many species, not only reptilian. Touching the neck gives pleasure to many pets and domestic animals, they love being patted or scratched on the neck. The English language has come up with the word “necking” as a making out ritual. I guess Cardassian sexuality is an extrapolation of this way of thinking – flirting and seducing but still keeping their clothes on, they are supposed to be a rigid society, after all. Even if not that sensitive I guess Cardassians consider their necks an important part of their body otherwise they would not expose them that prominently. In one licensed book, a Cardassian refers to a Ferengi’s short neck as “an excuse for a neck.”

I suppose that they must have scales on their backs because the lower part the neck next to the armor shows them. They probably cover the entire back gradually receding in the lumbar area. They might be denser over the spinal cord and less developed laterally.
Jim Morrison

Dal Rassak

Postby Dal Rassak » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:50 am

hm-hm, I certainly think that Cardassian neck ridges can't really be hyper-sensitive because, well just look at them! They're covered in what's made to look like rather tough scale, so purely physiologically they can't be that responsive. But the neck is involved in foreplay in a lot of species so yes, I'd say it can be an erogenous zone.

Seerbah Pe’Rez

Postby Seerbah Pe’Rez » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:39 pm

I can say from experience with my late husband Tan Pe’Rez (he died fighting during the Occupation. He was assasinated by a Bajoran woman. He had his faults) that their neck ridges vary in sensitivity. Out of the ten ridges on either side of his neck, only two would lift a bit during our....interactions.... and we’re very sensitive. They would also turn blue underneath. These were the ridges nearest the ears.
Ask a simple question, get a complicated answer.

Seerbah Pe’Rez

Postby Seerbah Pe’Rez » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Also his control over his prUt when embracing me was very limited and he would evert easily. Most Cardassian males I hear can’t invert unless they’ve been satisfied. It was true with my Tan specifically.

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Finally someone with a first-hand experience. My condolences for your late husband, those nasty Bajoran brutes…I hope the terrorist was worth it…

I don’t think that they are that reptilian, as far as I remember the term “prUt” was invented by tinsnip on Tumblr.

It is great that you remember him that fondly, obviously his performance was quite satisfactory.

Have you read “Cardassian Heat” by Eva A. Enblom? I really like her view on Cardassian male anatomy.
Jim Morrison

Seerbah Pe’Rez

Postby Seerbah Pe’Rez » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Tan called it his prUt as a pet name. He felt like he had to be dominate and label everything. I won’t tell you what he called me. Yes the Bajoran was captured and killed after a very brief interrogation. She gave up lots of rebel secrets heh heh! I will read up on that.

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:22 pm

I see, he must have been truly brave, to stick it in a terrorist…Wow…I am glad that you quickly dealt with this lowlife.

I found it on the net, it is a pretty old fic, from the 90s but then there were much more Cardassian fans than today. Ira Steven Behr – the Cardassian slyer – killed them all.

http://hem.bredband.net/MsFanfic/cardheat.htm
Jim Morrison

Gul Khold
Moderately Bad

Postby Gul Khold » Sun May 06, 2018 4:14 pm

Shada Dukal wrote:I see, he must have been truly brave, to stick it in a terrorist…

It is not that difficult, really. The trick is to make them stop kicking, struggling and screaming.

Return to “Inside the Reptilian Mind and Behind the Ridges”