Religion

The Place of the Individual in the Glorious Cardassian Society
Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Religion

Postby Gazomg » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Has there ever been any mention of a Cardassian religion or if they actually have one ?

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Re: Religion

Postby Shada Dukal » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:58 pm

The Cardassian religion is called the Oralian Way and it is well explained in the “Terok Nor” trilogy . The religion was not homogenous, it consisted of many semi-independent sects so the Oralian way appeared as the most popular and influential. They worship a deity called Oralius that resembles the Bajoran Prophets and at the beginning of the Occupation many Oralian followers were given a one-way ticket to Bajor. The Cardassian state saw them as dissenters and they were considered backward and detrimental to the development of the Cardassian society. Modern Cardassians believed in progress, science, common effort, and duty so religion was viewed as an obsolete superstition that led to ignorance and deterred discipline and unification.

Here is a link to Memory Beta:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Oralian_Way
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Postby Gazomg » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:24 pm

I dont recall any mentions on tv though

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:08 pm

The funny thing about Cardassian religion is that James Swallow, the author of the first book in the trilogy, has simplified the original Cardassian religion by introducing this deity Oralius. Oralius is based on a monotheistic concept. “Iron and Ashes – Cardassian Sourcebook” by Kevin Thomas states that the ancient Cardassian religion was polytheistic. They had several deities just like in the Greek or Scandinavian mythologies, which sounds much more plausible. Here is a selection of ancient Cardassian deities.

Keldok (Keldak, Geldag) – god of the sky, the father of all other gods.

Glacett (Marett, Lametta) – mother goddess and protector of pregnant women, both daughter and wife of Keldok.

Vakar (or Vashkara) – god (goddess in some regions) of storms and lightning.

Tiamar – god of fire. Anuone who was burned was believed to have angered him.

Styk’Rakan (or Syx’Krak) – god who transported the damned souls to the underworld.

Arik’Asha (or Arik’Vassa, Varikassa) – ruler of Vasha, the lowest level of hell. She meted out punishment to the greatest evildoers. It was she one prayed to for forgiveness, for she was believed to be capable of great mercy.

Bok – small, winged gargoyle like messenger of the gods.

Ironically, both the Treklit and the Cardassian Source book are considered non-canon but personally, I would rather James Swallow preserved the original polytheistic concept. I truly despise monotheism, it teaches people to see the world in black-and-white and be judgmental and intolerant.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Return to “Cardassian Societal Structure and Ethos”