Punishments

Confession is Good for the Soul
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Re: Punishments

Postby Shada Dukal » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:19 am

Indeed. Cardassians don’t have an appellation procedure which accounts for their swift justice. Lack of appellation really makes litigation faster. Cardassians don’t make mistakes – if they want to punish a particular person for crimes against the state or severe civil felonies, they simply do it. They have an investigative part to prove whether the person is guilty or not. Errors never occur because Cardassians don’t tolerate sloppiness and are meticulous record keepers. If the investigation can’t find proofs and evidence, then the person is not guilty and there is no verdict and no trial. One person can make a mistake occasionally but all forensic and laboratory personnel as well as the investigators working on a case can’t do it simultaneously. If something does not tie in, they will check the available data again and find the inconsistency. What is more, big cases that are likely to draw a lot of attention are probably checked and double-checked before being aired.
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gul Khold
Moderately Bad

Re: Punishments

Postby Gul Khold » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:07 am

Furthermore, let's pretend that in some rare circumstances, someone is wrongly accused, which is what Federation likely feel horrified by the Cardassian justice system, let's think about that in depth:

What is more important; to have someone be wrongly accused very, very rarely, but make sure all criminals have swift justice placed upon them for their wrongdoings or make sure innocents can not be punished, but also give the chances (and allowing) many criminals to get away with their crimes and, perhaps, do it again?

Cardassians are not humans and, personally, they prefer to make their political and societal decisions based on logic and knowing their own flaws and virtues. The people obey and approve of a strong State. And they know the best option is to have that swift and advanced judicial system than risk allowing criminals to get away with their deeds.

At least, this is how I view this from the whole "moral" point of view. I think Cardassians prefer the former over the latter and so would I.

Return to “Crime and Punishment”