A Great Analysis on Dukat

A Monument of the Known and Unknown Soldier
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

A Great Analysis on Dukat

Postby Shada Dukal » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:58 pm

When I spotted this video, I was full of suspicions because I have seen enough of Bajoran whimper, Federation sanctimony and wackoes justifying their miserable existence by preaching armchair humanism. So I was expecting just another glorious crusade against fictional evil and a high dose of Sunday school indignation.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the most professional and in-depth presentation on what makes a good antagonist with plenty of examples from other shows, a clear narrative and a detailed character analysis on Dukat, delving into his motivation, cultural and personal background, the Cardassian mentality as well as intelligent RL references that have nothing to do with the whole Nazi gibberish. Even the fan comments are well intentioned and positive. So despite the anti-Cardassian sentiments on most ST forums there are people who like Cardassians and Dukat in particular. Enjoy it!

I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Gul Khold
Moderately Bad

Re: A Great Analysis on Dukat

Postby Gul Khold » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:30 am

I find it rather hard to apply the therm "villain" to him exactly for those reasons. In the world, culture and society he was born and raised, he isn't exactly wrong. In fact, he is acting according to all their principles. I would say he is merely an opposition than a true villain. Or, as the video (and himself) says: He is the hero of his own story. And a tragic hero, while at it.

Gazomg
Evil but still Redeemable

Re: A Great Analysis on Dukat

Postby Gazomg » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:49 am

good find shada

he certainly had ambiguity

Return to “Cardassian Military”