The Cardassian Ships of Star Trek Armada 3

Military Complex, Ships, Stations, R&D, Science
Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

The Cardassian Ships of Star Trek Armada 3

Postby Shada Dukal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:38 pm

I found several awesome Cardassian ships on this site.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3/about

The people behind are a group of enthusiastic game developers so if you are into gaming, this is your place. I almost regretted not being into games myself while watching these beauties. But even as still images they look great. They also provided a nice description for each ship class, its purpose and capabilities. So, enjoy!

Here is the caption text for this image. These people really know the Cardassians.

"I always thought you should have been an artist. You have such a wonderful eye for detail. But you were determined to join the Order. You thought it was your duty to Cardassia. Personally, I think Cardassia could use a few more artists."
- Legate Tekeny Ghemor, lamenting the pitfalls of excessive patriotism

The Cardassians were once a peaceful people with a deeply rooted spiritual culture, but as their population grew the scarce resources of their homeworld began failing. Chaos reigned as shortages led to mass starvation and rampant disease, leading to the deaths of millions in one of the darkest periods of Cardassian history. As civilian governance crumbled, a coup at the hands of the Cardassian military led to the formation of the Cardassian Union, a totalitarian state presided over by the military's Central Command. The new regime marked an unprecedented cultural change for the Cardassians, who abandoned peace and spirituality in favour of patriotism and service to the state, which in time brought order to Cardassia.

Pursuing an aggressive campaign of expansion in search of resources and territory, by the 24th Century the Cardassian Union had made significant inroads toward establishing itself as one of the great powers of the Alpha Quadrant. Pragmatic, calculating and utterly ruthless, the Cardassian military follows a philosophy of the ends justifying the means. The greater good of Cardassia is sufficient justification for almost any action, from the suppression of civil liberties to the enslavement of less developed species. That said, despite the amorality of the Central Command's regime, the Cardassian people are also loyal, brave and noble in their own way, capable of great acts of compassion and principle, willing to stand firm and take great personal risks for what they believe to be right.

Though somewhat behind the other powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, the Cardassian Union is tenacious and determined to seize its place as a galactic power."
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything!
Jim Morrison

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Re: The Cardassian Ships of Star Trek Armada 3

Postby Shada Dukal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Here is another accomplishment of the Cardassian military complex – the Dreadnought Missile. Deadly and unpredictable, especially if its initial target programming is tampered and compromised. Just like the Cardassians, it locks on everything and fights to the very bitter end. In this case, the end is extremely bitter, but on a brighter note, no one has time to contemplate it.

The original description:

“A miracle of Cardassian engineering, the ATR-4107 unmanned weapon system, referred to as the Dreadnought missile, blurs the line between missile and warship. While its primary function is indeed that of a missile, the Dreadnought is directed by a sophisticated tactical computer system that allows it to operate independently as well as any warship, and possesses the firepower to match. Heavily shielded and possessing some of the very best Cardassian weaponry, the Dreadnought is capable of doing anything it takes and 'removing' any obstacles in its path in order to reach its target.

The Dreadnought missile is nothing short of a weapon of mass destruction, typically carrying a warhead containing 1,000 kilograms of matter, and 1,000 kilograms of antimatter - a yield great enough to completely obliterate a moon. While no records exist of the Cardassians ever using these weapons against civilian targets, they have been used to eliminate supply and munitions depots and other strategic targets behind enemy lines.

Of note is that the Cardassian Union never stockpiled these weapons, opting instead to construct these devastating weapons only as needed. The sheer cost of production ensured that they were manufactured and deployed sparingly. As such, they are a rare sight indeed.

Also of note is that the complex artificial intelligence system that controls the dreadnought developed a reputation for being somewhat erratic. If damaged by enemy defenders they could go off course, wandering aimlessly in search of new targets. Standing orders among all the powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, the Cardassian Union included, are to destroy rogue Dreadnoughts on sight.”
Jim Morrison

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Here is the Keldon we all know and respect, too bad the Cardassians did not have more of them. Powerful and elegant.

I like the caption description very much:

“The Keldon-class battleship is a scaled-up and expanded variant of the Galor cruiser, and serves at the forefront of the Cardassian Union's war machine. The most powerful conventional warship of the Cardassian fleet, the Keldon is a prestigious command for Cardassian officers, and forms the adamantine backbone of Cardassian formations.

Development of the Keldon actually began soon after the introduction of the Galor during the Border Wars, in the hopes of challenging the Federation's emerging Galaxy-class heavy starships. While the conflict effectively ended well before the Keldon was launched, development continued and the Keldon entered service in 2370 as the Cadassians' top-of-the-line battleship. Heavily armed and armoured, the Keldon leads the Cardassian fleet into battle.

As well as its somewhat increased size, the Keldon's most obvious departure from the standard Galor design lies in the large 'hump' along the dorsal section of the aft hull. Aside from setting it apart visually, this added structural mass contains some of the Keldon's most sensitive and potent equipment, from advanced sensor scramblers to a large-scale plasma emtitter able to scorch the hulls of surrounding enemy ships. It also allows room for more conventional improvements, such as additional weapons banks and a more powerful warp core.

Easily one of the most powerful ships in the fleet, Cardassian Guls compete ferociously for the chance to command a Keldon. Taking charge of one of these battleships is seen as a crowning achievement in a military career, representative of an officer's power and ability. Crewed by the finest officers and soldiers the Central Command has to offer, the Keldon is an authoritative presence on the battlefield, emblematic of the inevitable triumph of Cardassia over its enemies.”
Jim Morrison

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:00 pm

This is an interesting concept – a former freighter class overhauled to serve as an assault ship for orbital bombardment. I wonder whether the hero of Setlik III would have survived to complain about the ruthless Cardies, if these ships had been actually used. Meet the Moset class – not much in terms of speed and gracefulness but a deadly precise targeting system.

This is what the designers say about this ship:

“Initially designed as a modest bulk transport ship, the Moset assault frigate appears graceless and bulky even by Cardassian standards. Frustrated by their lack of progress during the Border Wars with the Federation, the Central Command had the design repurposed into a planetary assault ship purpose-built to obliterate Federation settlements from orbit, therefore negating the need for a lengthy and costly ground assault. Fortunately for the Federation colonists along the border, a truce was signed in 2367, just before the Moset entered service.

The Moset is, in most respects, an unremarkable warship. Typically sturdy, like most Cardassian warships, the Moset is pitifully slow for a ship its size, and manoeuvres with all the grace and agility one would expect from a repurposed freighter. Its primary (and some would say, only) defining feature is its powerful forward phaser array, which the Moset uses to commit precision strikes against targets on a planetary surface, clearing the way for a new garrison or colony. Beyond that, its usefulness is limited. Whether the Central Command intends to eventually return the Moset to its original civilian role is currently unknown.”
Jim Morrison

Shada Dukal
Sheer Evil

Postby Shada Dukal » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:40 pm

Here is the precursor of the Galor, the Janissary class. Unlike the Galor, which is a true battleship, this old fellow is not only a combat vessel but also a versatile “work horse” carrying infantry and equipment to newly established colonies, and preparing initial estimates for the new worlds it encounters. Longer than the more compact Galor, this ship flies the farthest reaches of the Cardassian space looking for promising planets and setting the stage for further colonization.

This is the original description:

“The Janissary-class heavy cruiser is an old but far from obsolete heavy warship of the Cardassian fleet, and can be found patrolling the farthest reaches of the Union to this day. One of the ships most responsible for the Cardassian Union's rapid expansion, the Janissary was instrumental in the initial subjugation of Bajor, as well as spreading the Union's influence to countless worlds, fuelling Cardassia's hunger for territory and resources. The Janissary also provided the inspiration for the eventual design of the iconic Galor-class heavy cruiser, ensuring a legacy that is destined to continue for generations.

The Janissary is designed to operate independently on the very edge of known space. As such, it is equipped with all the tools needed for its success and survival. Powerful scanners sweep newly discovered worlds, determining the suitability for colonisation and searching for valuable resources. Industrial-scale tractor beam emitters and heavy transporters are vital tools on the frontier, and the Janissary is a well armed warship capable of fighting off many threats.

Vital in its role, though, is the column of Cardassian infantry carried in the Janissary's barracks. Effective, well trained and ruthless, these Cardassian soldiers are versatile enough to board enemy ships and seize them for the Union's use, or to be beamed en masse to the surface of a new world in order to quickly establish a garrison and pave the way for colonisation. Either way, the Janissary and its troops never fail in their duty to grow the Union.”
Jim Morrison

Return to “Cardassian Technology”